Sunday, January 30, 2005

Election in Iraq

It's a strange feeling, but I am really happy and encouraged by the election in Iraq.

I stayed up until Sunday morning 1.30 am to watch the 1st 2 hours of election. Many people turned out to vote - young, old, wheelchaired, men, women - one by one they braved the potential attack and threats by the terrorists, and risked their lives to vote. I can understand if I live in a place where there is suicidal bombing and mortar attacks everyday, I may get used to it a little bit. But to publicly denounce the terrorists' acts by putting oneself forward as a target of the terrorits requires great courage. The Iraqis knew that Sunday's election was a showdown between the themselves and the terroists, and they really went against them. Their votes were a public defiance to the terroist's threat. What a powerful example of courage and determination against the evil forces. I couldn't hold my tears when I saw this hisotric moment. The voters were the everyday heroes and heroines.

-RL-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home